I took my opportunity tonight to go fishing for about an hour. I really have stuff I should be doing (really watching, since I can't do anything with it, just make sure its running alright), but I needed a break. I've worked too many hours already this week.
So I went to my usual sunfish spot but wind and spring pollen covered the water like a layer of cement and the surface was too choppy to see any fish in the water like usual. On top of that, the bugs weren't hatching on the water, so there were no minnows chasing them, and no panfish chasing the non-existent minnows. Too quiet. I moved on.
The next spot had about 8 people in a 25 foot stretch of bridge. Too many people.
So I thought, "What the hell? Lets drive to the center of town and at least cast over the pond that is there for put-and-take trout fishing."
I knew there would be sunfish in it and also knew all the trout would be gone. Or so I thought. There were still a couple of smart ones in the center of the pond taking advantage of the large mosquito and gnat hatch going on. May have been more than that, but I was covered in both.
What I didn't know was that it was a bass pond. There were 6 or 7 other anglers (younger kids with worms mostly, with a couple of adults just killing time) but enough room for me to claim a spot and cast toward the center.
I was there for about a half an hour before dark and on my 3rd cast there, I caught a nice chunky little bass. What a relief - another skunk avoided and my first smallmouth.

EDIT: I've been meaning to document the time and weather. I started fishing at 7:00pm, first strike at 7:40pm after changing locations. Weather was cloudy with a rain front coming in tonight/tomorrow morning. Temperature was 68 degrees.
No comments:
Post a Comment