Friday, March 14, 2008

And I stood there, staring...

... at the enormous amount of books on fly fishing, fly tying, and all things fish related.

I flipped through a few, eyeing the education ones on exciting topics like nymphs and their number of legs or what slight variation of color to fish depending on the hour of the day...

Ok, not that I don't have a lot of respect for classic dry fly fisherman, but really... I want to catch a fish. I'm half surprised at myself that I haven't stuck a chunk of meat and tied it down along with 15 tri-hooks to catch a fish. I'm not traditional, or a traditionalist - I want to catch fish legally and ethically, but I don't care what my grandfathers grandfather did.

All the respect for them. It takes a certain kind of talent and dedication to softly drop a #26 fly that you tied yourself in the middle of some rising but spooky wild brookies in a crystal clear pool up in the middle of nowhere and actually catch fish doing it. Maybe I'll get there, one day, but right now, its big ugly streamers and "dumb" bass for me.


So I picked up John Gierach's book Standing in a River Waving a Stick. While I was waiting in line at the rather large book store I started reading it. 3 pages later I realized I had been holding up the line. It's going to be tough to put down.

I'll report back here once I finish it. At $13.00 it is already well worth the price. If it continues like it started, I'll be sure to pick up his other books. If I think it sucks, I'll say so here and will have a book for sale.

No comments: