Thursday, October 2, 2008

Daily Fly Splat - 10/2/2008

Multi-purpose fly...


Rabbit Strip Fly
















Hook: Whatever hook you like, long, short, but make it heavy or very heavy wire.

Thread: Heavy black or red.
Everything else: Rabbit strip

Note: Tie in the tail, then palmer the rest of the rabbit strip forward. Its that easy, and it works.











2 comments:

FoulHooked said...

Pretty much settled on it as my only (subsurface) smallmouth fly.
-Meaty
-Durable
-Extremely easy to tie
-Easy to add/vary weight, color, size, flash
-Imitates any number of things
-They love it
Sometimes I start at the front and work back...not sure which way I like better...

Flying Ties said...

Yep - Its my pike fly and what I will be trolling with when trolling shallow.

I don't weight mine so they have a very natural movement and flow through the water. For pike I tie in about 6" of tail and tie them on a short shank hook (pike strike the front or side typically). For bass I tie them shorter and fatter.

I haven't had any smallie luck with it but you know how finicky the normal spot smallies can be. Lately all they've wanted is buggers sitting stationary on the bottom or slowly jigged heavy thin streamers (clousers) or slowly jigged heavy very fat streamers (some big woolly trout fly made with sculpin wool with lots of weight).

I bet mid summer or in the shallows of lakes right now, this is a big fish fly for smallmouth. I'll be testing it on salmonoids this weekend.