Its winter. Its not just winter - its a particularly cold and snowy winter.
This time last year I was complaining about not catching any fish but still happy with the progression of my casting and my fly tying ability. I will say, I am happy with the progression of my fly tying ability but I haven't cast a rod since November. Well, thats not true. I think a few weeks later I cast my new fly rod a few times before the sub zero temperatures drove me inside. But that was just in my yard.
I'm reading, but as Gierach says, a good fishing book is only about 1/3 as satisfying as any fishing trip. I'm also tying, and I'll post some photos. I think I've got enough different flies tied up to do a daily fly splat for at least a couple of weeks. This time I won't torch my hosting and screw up the posts.
I know I should be thinking about trout and, honestly, I am excited to try to catch a few more trout this year than last, but my thoughts go back to catching America's fish, the Black Bass. I've found several small brook trout streams that despirately need attention but I can't get my mind off of this.
Clearly and easily the single best day of fishing I've had. Even better than hooking into two 20+ pound Salmon in one day.
Don't remember what was at the end of that line?
One of the bigger Smallies I've caught thus far and, by far, the hardest fighting in that current. Took me several minutes to land him for fear of breaking off or pulling the hook out of his lip. I caught another there a week or so later that was a few inches longer and fatter than that guy, but had no camera.
So, call me crazy, but its smallmouth bass and panfish that get me excited about the quickly but not quickly enough approaching spring/summer/fall season, not trout. Enjoy a few photos from last season.




2 comments:
I'll meet you at the falls again any time. It's just a great place to be and fish. Nothing like walking up to the face and seeing smallies darting underfoot.
Sounds good to me. I plan on putting quite a few more hours there this year, starting the day the doc releases me back to full activity (hopefully mid-april!).
I didn't walk all the way up to the falls, I only made it about mid way because I didn't have waders on and had to bushwhack to get as far as I did. I know you went up there and wanted to practice that pocket water stuff on "stupid" fish. Also, my uncle showed me another way in to get to a big flat area with a sandy/pebbly bottom. Its a longer hike but its pretty easy and its an easy wade to get to the other side. I've got some ideas for that piece of water and various spots we didn't try. We only touched the surface of what is there.
Post a Comment