Friday, June 13, 2008

Then Everything Changes...

80 Degrees, bright sun, blue skies. Bad day for fishing? Not when there is structure nearby.

Super impromptu trip to the Hudson so left 99% of my flies at home as well as my spool of mono and camera.

3 Smallies in the 13" range, 1 small pumpkinseed, and one FAT bluegill. Seriously. Big enough that I put him on the reel thinking it was a big smallie. Not as long as the 11"'er out of Glen Lake but fought harder and was much, much fatter.

One other person on the water, a spin angler who kept to himself. Once I broke off my second fly and had no leader left I headed over to see how he had done and to let him know that I was headed out so if he wanted, he could have my pretty active spot.

He had a pretty successful day with an 18" smallie. We talked a minute and walked over to where I had been fishing. He fished a little while longer and on his first cast, jigging like I had been but with a yellow curly tail, he landed a nice 16" smallmouth. Bright colors for bright days I guess. He gave me another short section of mono so that I could fish along with him. Had no success since I lost both my clousers - one to the bottom and one to a fish after my leader had been frayed - and had to use an egg sucking leech (Great steelhead pattern...).

Black and white, and Olive and white (really, I think white and white would've been fine) were the colors of the day. Lots of smolt around, lots of small sunnies not big enough to eat the fly, and lots of bass plenty big enough. GREAT day for an after work unexpected break out.

No comments: