Saturday, April 5, 2008

Just Another Skunk

I had really hoped to report in today with great news - that my skunk streak was over and that I got a friend that's new to fly fishing into some fish.

Dead wrong.


Everything was right except the water level and color. Barometer was low, temperatures were rising, we were even out during "peak" lunar times. It was cloudy but fairly warm and occasionally the sun would break through to warm up the water. We fished where they stocked 500 browns, below where they stocked 500 browns, above where they stocked 500 browns, waaaaay below where they stocked 500 browns, and even just above where the walleye come up to spawn (figuring they would drive some of the smaller sunfish up stream, and we'd be able to profit on their effort).



It's official, frustration has set in. It took 7 months and a lot of cold fishing trips. I'm beginning to question the logic that fish live in the water. You'd think I would've at least snagged something by now.

2 comments:

FoulHooked said...

I hate skunks. Part of the reason I broke out the hardware today. That, and complete inability to cast from a canoe in any sort of wind (as if keeping the canoe pointed in one direction wasn't hard enough).

Better flows and warmer water will be here soon. What would life be without some frustration to make success all that much sweeter?

Flying Ties said...

I suppose you're right. I've been getting skunked at least once a week since September. The worst part of it, there weren't even days in there where I did catch fish - it was just consistent no fish days. Even through the ice.