I'm feeling a bit negative about this past Saturday. Sure, I was fishing, and it was certainly better than work, but there are a few things that happened that annoyed me.
1. I broke my 8wt rod. About 8" off the tip. Luckily I have great friends and one of them is going to retip it for me... but regardless, that's annoying and its now strictly a bass rod since the presentation is most certainly going to be splashy. Time to shop for a new (cheap) 8wt rod... right when I don't have the money to buy one. It breaking was entirely my fault, but regardless... it is bothering me.
2. I don't care if you decide to kayak/canoe the same water I fish. Float on by very quietly... say "Hi" if you wish. We both have every right to be where we are. Don't hop out of your boat in a prime big-fish section because there is an island and proceed to splash and make a commotion, or dump your garbage on the island. Don't pee in the water either. First its bad for the environment - spreading bacteria. Second, that could potentially be a water source for someone (in fact, I know it is, I see the well pumps). Third, DON'T PEE IN THE DAMN WATER! Fourth, ESPECIALLY don't pee in the water up stream from where I'm fishing. It's flat out disgusting and completely disrespectful. I don't care if you're 6 or 65. Be intelligent and respectful of others on the water. Go ahead, stop on the island, eat your lunch. Take some photos. Just don't pee in the water. No #2 either.
3. If a section of water is for artificial lures only, don't show up with a bucket of worms and some bait hooks and expect us to be friendly. You're breaking the law.
That's all. Besides those three things, I had a great time. There was 4 of us, which is a bit much for the water (especially since there was others fishing too), but with us being spread out there was fish caught and a good time had all around.
4 comments:
It's ok if I pee in my waders though, right?
That's fine, but it might not be all that good for you.
hey eric!
i just found and read your blog this morning. very interesting, and while i feel like i should recognize the name of your blog, i don't...
a couple of thoughts. those flies you tied looked good... a parachute fly, right? nice gear too -- hard to beat orvis.
as for spring fishing, i rarely do it. just a little too cold i suppose. but i am with you: it's called fishing, not catching. it is always fun to catch some fish, but not obligatory at all.
anyways, seeing how into fishing you have gotten makes me want to get out there myself. hopefully we can find a weekend later this summer to do some fishing in new york!
keep up the good writing -- josh
Hey Josh,
Thanks for reading! The fly in the first real post is a Parachute Adams, though I later learned I tied them wrong (no dubbing on the under body), I've been told they'll still catch fish. We'll see once they start rising.
Definitely find some time to get out. It'd be great to have you guys up here so the girls can go do whatever girls do and I can show you some NY water.
The title is from an Irish song that I heard sung by Hair Of The Dog song called "All Of The Hard Days Are Gone".
Eric
Post a Comment