Monday, April 7, 2008

That Dam Release...

It's that time of the year. The time when the rivers get flushed out from the winter funk and the water returns, clear, and warm. Happy place for fish to live.

My normal fishing area was flooded, big time. Could only really fish about 5% of the normal area... and even below the dam I fish near, the water had completely overtaken a large area that is normally shoreline that you can walk on... it was under 4 or 5 ft of VERY swift water. And they call that area a canoe launch... right!

Time for me to find some alternative areas to fish for these periods during the spring, summer, and fall when they flush the river. Good news is, they're introducing large amounts of warm water from a hydrodam upstream that should bring the water temps up even further. They're about 43 degrees right now - a couple more and the bass begin feeding, then spawning.

I guess I'll start going after LL Salmon in the shallows in Lake George... or maybe a fat largemouth in the flat grass on the edge of Glen Lake.

Anyone got any suggestions?

2 comments:

FoulHooked said...

LG shallows salmon are pretty rare these days I've been told...limited success in stockings and focus on deepwater stocking likely a factor...but success would be plenty satisfying to make me give it a go.

Wash Co. has the canal and some very decent trout streams. If I'm not too busy with my other goals, I hope to take time to hit both this year. You can always catch something in the canal...if your fly is visible enough.

If you're gonna try Glen Lake, take the kayak out and look for rainbows rising over deeper areas and transitional slopes. Might even get one on a dry...though I would throw (or even troll) streamers first...they tend to be spread out.

I don't know what to do this weekend...the weather report has me all fouled up.

Flying Ties said...

Yeah, It seems that Adirondack LL Salmon in general are pretty rare. We had one on the line ice fishing but it broke off.

I'm not sure - just found out that the ice is out on LG so it sounds like the lake may have "flipped" or is just about to. I think I may be hitting some of the shallows for whatever might bite this weekend.

There are a few canals in Wash Co. One of them is right now the street from my house but I am not really sure there are fish in it right now. I've seen large fish (probably carp) sitting on the bottom but mostly mid summer when the canal is high. When you come up here, let me know if you're looking for a fishing partner. I may be able to bring you somewhere that otherwise, you probably wouldn't go.

Glen Lake is still solid for the most part except one bay and maybe the swampy area. I've seen bows sunning themself on the edge of the swap looking for dragonfly nymphs I imagine, but that was in June...

Sunday is supposed to be decently nice, if not a bit of a chill in the air. I say hit the trout streams - they'll be high, but it's better than yard work.