Ended up staying home from work today. I was supposed to fish this evening with a friend but instead postponed it to tomorrow. Not sure, but whatever hit me over the night didn't let go until this afternoon.
So I'll be fishing tomorrow evening for smallmouth with a guy who is sort of my warm water (and now, salt water) mentor. He took me out and helped me catch a couple of big crappies as well as a Pickerel very early in the season.
Which leads us to this weekend - Friday night we're leaving for Hampton Beach, NH. Its an annual trip that my family has been taking since the mid 70's without missing a year. Of course, I've only been going since the early 80's... but regardless, my whole life. Things have changed there, our favorite restaurant closed, and the cabins we've been staying at for 20 or more years were sold, but we still venture back to sit on a porch and watch the ocean, visit our favorite quiet places, eat our favorite seafood, and just enjoy life. This is a much needed break - mostly for my wife, who is hair-line deep in post graduate work - and is very welcome. My goal is to fish... even if just for an hour or so... for schoolie stripers in a bay we "discovered" last year. If I even hook into ANY fish I'll be wickedly happy. I've never fished salt water before so it will be a new experience and feeds directly into my goal of experiencing as many different aspects of fly fishing this year.
On the Biking front, I've joined a challenge to ride 300 miles in one month. I did that for a year or two on a regular basis but that was in 1998 and 1999. This will be a big challenge for me, especially since I'm carefully watching my food intake which I never did before (lots of calories + lots of carbs = much easier multiple-day long distance rides).
Of course, this week while putting some miles on my bike decided to puke itself. After today I won't be riding it again until I get the bottom bracket replaced - which may very well end up being mid August judging by how busy the bike shop is. My crank arms rock back and forth so bad I worry about damaging the BB housing in the frame and rendering the entire thing useless. I guess thats what happens when you put 13,000 miles on older components... especially when you ride hard for most of those miles and never weigh less than 235lbs (most bike components are made for people in the 150-160lb range). I can't ask more from a 30 dollar part.
If I get a chance I'll post a report from tomorrow night but if I don't, I'll post it when I return or if we have internet at the beach. If I don't post before then, enjoy your weekend and I'll see you on Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment