I find myself standing there, thigh deep in cool, crystal clear water, tying on a different fly pattern, getting wet through waders that don't really leak, just seep enough water to make me cold after 4 hours, and for what? To try to catch a stupid little fish?
That's how I feel right now. I went to that famous river, like I had planned, and I fished it, like I had planned. I had been practicing, getting mentally prepared, working on my focus by meditating and doing extended yoga poses.
OK, I didn't really meditate or do yoga. I had been working on focusing more and expecting a fish and not giving up on the drift before my fly was out of the water.
Today wasn't fishless though, I caught some kind of bait fish on a nymph. I'd guess its a Black Nose Dace but because my camera had just been under water and I forgot to wipe the lens off, the photo came out pretty crappy.
I say it every time, that I'm done trout fishing. That bass and sunfish are just as fun and I can actually catch them. I know, however, that the next time someone says to me, "Hey, how about we meet up at [secret meeting location] on [famous local river] and catch some big fat browns?" I'll say yes, fight currents, cold water, allergies, and pricker bushes just for the chance to catch a fish that has, for the most part, eluded me.
Here is my magnificent catch of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment