If you haven't noticed, my main focus lately has been salmonoids. Now that hunting season has started in my area the rivers are basically empty, both for warm and cold water fishing. I was supposed to go to that famous river I love so much but a strong weather pattern threatened flash floods and dangerous conditions in that area. Though nothing transpired, I am ok with the fact that I played things a little more precautious than necessary because if that river is known for anything, it is known for how fast it can come up. The good news is that it goes down at about the same speed.
I stayed north yesterday, fishing a river that I fished for sunfish when I was 10 and visited early in the season with a friend. The first spot I stopped had more promising looking water in a half a mile stretch of water than I've seen. The water was skinny but had absolutely perfect habitat for big fish and small fish alike.
For some reason it is difficult for me to walk away from promising looking water that I absolutely know has been under very hard fishing pressure and probably holds some spooky spooky fish if any at all. For some reason I get locked in on where the fish should be instead of where they aren't.
Before I left home I had made plans to move if the fishing wasn't good, but I realized how much time I had spent in a spot where the fishing wasn't good and immediately packed up and headed to my backup plan. Of course, most people's backup plans are to head to places that they know have fish and that they know they can catch them. "Most People" isn't a description that fits me, I guess, because when I moved I found that the place that looked great on the map had basically no access that I could see. I did remember passing a small, hidden sign that said fishing access so I headed back to check it out.
I arrived to one other car there parked in the anglers parking. I got out, readied my rod, donned my backpack, and walked into some THICK brush and a vague path that lead down to the river. I waved to an old man that lived there as I walked past his house, which felt a little strange, but he's the one who sold the rights so I guess he probably didn't mind.
When I got to the bottom I heard voices and snapping twigs so I stopped as I saw a couple of spin anglers throwing spoons from the shore and the shallow water. I stepped out and threw a few casts before they noticed me. They said hello and quietly walked over. They mentioned that they had been fishing that area for a while and that it had changed dramatically from the years past when they fished it. He said they used to be able to stand on an island that was there and catch their limit of nice fish in the 15 to 17" range for supper pretty regularly but that this year with the island getting smaller and more trees in the water that they hadn't been able to catch anything. There was a deep channel followed by the island which generated some small falls, riffles, and pocket water that looked promising with its undercut banks but apparently didn't produce at all.
The gentleman mentioned that they had a spot where they saw fish all the time but couldn't get to take their spoons and that I should try it with my flies. They offered to have me follow them over to show me where it is and show me where to go, so I took the chance and went. As good as the water looked where I was standing the promise of fish was too strong. We all hiked out to our cars - they had parked in a different spot than I had - and I followed them into town. We parked behind a large building no more than 15 feet from the water where he pointed and said "There, right there, you can see a bunch of 'em swimming around and rolling their backs. I can't get them to take my stuff but maybe if you put something on the surface they'll take it. Good luck!" After a few minutes worth of discussion about how we both love smallmouth bass they left and I walked down to the bank and watched as a pond of rainbows kept ducking in and out of some cloudy water and chasing something around in the water. They never came to the surface but would look as debris floated over and then head back down. Funny little fish.
OK, so I didn't catch them drifting a dry fly over a pool or swinging a streamer through a riffle but I'll take what I can get. I caught him fishing like I fish for bass. I guess I just did it my way.
2 comments:
Not only did you find time to get out in the midst of this weekend's rain but you got a bow as well. Have to say, I'm a little jealous. Haven't been on the water in a week and a half.
Actually up here we never got rain during daylight hours except some sprinkles on sunday when I was in the southern part of the county (not fishing).
That makes two rainbows this season - no browns or brookies but I'm happy. I still fish my usual year round spot until its unsafe due to water level so I haven't given up.
As I said - if you ever want to get out and need a ride let me know.
Post a Comment