It's that time of year. Smallies are slowing down, panfish are getting hot (again), and trout and just coming off of being stressed through the heat of the summer. In some places, the heat is going to be on for a while.
But it's also time for the ants to hatch. I know here, we get a HUGE flying ant hatch and the fish - baby smallmouth up to big trout - take advantage and will often fead only on ants (or so I hear).
So, in honor of that, here is my version of the parachute ant. This one is ugly, but most of my flies are... especially this small.
Hook: Size 14-24 dry fly hook
Body: Tapered dub, brown, orange, or olive dry fly dubbing, tapered into two balls.
Post: Krystal Flash or Cow Tail (Kip Tail) or yarn of your choice
Wing: Dry fly hackle to match the body color.
Notes: The recipe says that the post should be in the middle of the "head" of the fly, but I prefer to tie it in the center. I feel as though it gives a more realistic leg appearance. Does it matter? Probably not, but in the center is easier for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment