I've sort of rediscovered fly tying. I had given it up for a while but now I'm in a swap and pretty low on flies myself so I figured this would be a good way for me to introduce more diversity and interest into this blog, while forcing me to keep tying the flies that I fly. Eventually I'll start writing instructions on how to tie them, but I'm still figuring the whole fly tying thing out, so I'm probably not the one you want to take instruction from.
I'll start off with a Spring/Fall/Winter pattern mostly for Salmon and Steelhead but also works on bigger winter trout. It may work for other fish - I intend on seeing how the bass like it next time I'm at the creek. I didn't invent this pattern, just one of the two that I am tying for the swap.
Hot Stone
Hook: Size 6-10 Salmon Hook or Long Shank Heavy Hook
Weight: Wire Wraps - less than 1/8oz total
Thread: 6/0 or 8/0, color to match the flash
Body: Black Dubbing, Tapered
Thorax: Estaz or any Sparkly Chenille
Tail and Wings: Goose Biots, color to match flash
Wing Case: Black Saddle Hackle
Notes: This fly can be tied in many colors. Pink, Chartreuse, Orange, Red, and Blue seem to be the popular ones though.
Ready to be tagged and sent off.


2 comments:
Eric,
I'm loving the constant posting here. When you tie your own, what makes them suitable for different types of fish? Is it the color or do you actually tie them differently?
Dan,
Its more that it is what the fly is known for. The actual reason for why certain species of fish like them more than any other is more for biologists, and even then I think that they aren't sure. This pattern, and many patterns that I'll be posting (except tomorrows) are considered exciter patterns. They don't really imitate anything in particular, just something that is surprising, frightening, or interesting enough for the fish to attack it - out of aggression, hunger, or instinct.
This particular pattern is more toward the instinct or aggression side of things. Remember that while Salmon are spawning, they are also dieing. Eating for sustenance isn't really their top priority, but doing what they have to do to spread their seed is. Throwing them brightly colored, maybe even frightening flies will incite a strike out of fear or pure instinct rather than because they want to eat it.
That isn't to say that this won't also catch fish like Steelhead, which spawn like salmon but don't die after their first spawn as salmon do, or brown trout, which will also spawn like steelhead, or even bass or sunfish which tend to be attracted to brightly colored flies maybe more out of curiosity and opportunity than anything else.
Though a fly may be developed for one species, it doesn't mean thats all it will catch - in fact, most of the time it will work on many many other species. Its just that the fly was developed for certain species and thus, is commonly referred to by the species it was developed for.
Hope that helped,
Eric
Post a Comment