Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just Plain Good

I'm a pretty proud husband. My wife just finished her pre-reqs so she can continue on to get her masters degree in Occupational Therapy. The last class she had to take - Anatomy and Physiology II - was taken in an abbreviated time frame but without abbreviating the material. What's that mean? She took a full A&P course, while working full time and taking her first OT course, that is supposed to last 4 months, in just under 6 weeks. Not only did she complete it, but she did very well. This was cause for celebration.

We're not partiers, so we went out to dinner. We're also not people that like to have to get dressed up to go out or have some fancy french food on the menu that costs a ridiculous amount for a plate with a tiny amount of food. I don't need 3 pounds of cheap beef to make me feel better but more than 2oz of food total for 25 bucks is all I ask. We decided to stop at a bar/grill that has moved several times in its tenure in the area but seems to have settled into a good location just south of Lake George, NY.

Now, I normally don't do restaurant reviews because they're highly visit-based but the food at this place was so good (nevermind that they're open late) I really just had to do it. They're also locally owned but I don't think they're very well known by the locals (there are several other well known, good locally owned restaurants in the area, like Davidson Brothers, Sweet Basil, and Gourmet Cafe to name a few) so that's another reason I wanted to highlight this place.

It's called the Olde Post Grill and its located on RT. 9 just south of the village of Lake George, NY. It was very quiet the night we were there but the whole town was surprisingly quiet, really. I was immediately impressed by a decent selection of draft (draught) microbrews and also their tendency toward Irish fair and attitude. They even import some Irish candy that you just don't otherwise find in the states.

I was disappointed at their lack of local brewers choices (we have several very local brewerys, none of which were on their list) but still happy to see quite a few semi-local and other Microbrews listed. I ended up going with a traditional Irish Ale to match my Fish and Crisps dinner (correct for Ireland, by the way. Its fish and chips in England.) Since I'm Irish by marriage I typically like to eat like it when I'm out. Pronounce the beer name correctly. Its not Smith-wicks. Its Smitticks. Say it after me. Smitt-icks. Now that you know, NEVER mispronounce it.

We started with Irish Quesadilla's, a folded tortilla filled with Goat Cheese, Cheddar, Chicken, and Onions. Whatever they did to it - it was fantastic. Enough that instead of eating it all there, we saved half of it so we could have it the next day for lunch. My Fish and Crisps were pretty real. You had a choice of French Fries, Potato Chips (Traditional), or Cottage Cheese. I went with the Potato Chips and was pretty happy to find that they were made on premise. The Fish was 3/4 of a pound of Haddock Fillet Battered in a Bass Ale based batter. To top it off, they serve it with Malt Vinegar and Tar Tar Sauce that is mixed on site. Really, its a simple meal but my god, they actually did it right. No frozen, pre-battered fish substance, no packaged french fries, just real, good, food.

My wife got the Vermonter Sandwich and unfortunately, I can't remember everything that was on it. I think it was Grilled Chicken topped with Vermont Cheddar Cheese, Granny Smith Apple Slices, and sautéed onions. Hers was served with Sweet Potato fries and their in-house made Melba (raspberry) sauce.

On top of all that, they actually poured the beer correctly and it was served with the head barely cresting the top of the correct Imperial Pint glass.

It wasn't fine dining. It wasn't some place to go on your first date. It wasn't super cheap. It was good, correctly priced, locally run, and exactly what we needed after 6 hard weeks of work.




Oh, that Fish and Crisps dinner. It was huge, and I was stuffed... but Fish and Crisps don't keep well and I wasn't about to waste it.

Sorry for the poor quality photos. Like I said, restaurant reviews aren't my thing so I had to rely on my cell phone to do the job a camera should do.

No comments: